Right let’s face it – blokes are predictably stupid. And the most classic way of demonstrating this is the mid-life crisis.
When I was in my 20s and 30s I looked upon these men going through it as tragic, almost comical, but definitely pathetic characters and felt nothing but contempt whilst smugly saying to myself – ‘that will never be me’. But guess what, 10 years later on in my mid 40s here I am feeling like acting out every cliché in the book.
So what have I let myself indulge in – have I got a convertible (yes), am I going down the gym (yes), am I shaving hair that is growing out of bits of me, I don’t want to grow (yes), Am I panicking that my opportunity to be the Lothario I always dreamed of being is about to pass me by forever (most definitely)
So what am I doing to make sure that I keep myself, my family, and most importantly my sanity intact?
Well here are my top 10 tips:
- Flirt – as my dad said – you can read the menu as often as you like as long as you never order. Get it out of your system with no consequence.
- Fall in love with your partner again – they are amazing and we often forget what made you love them in the first place. Take a step back and look at all the great in them and re-set everything that has become annoying
- Do something – whether it is making a move in work or taking up a hobby outside of work. Get yourself involved in something you love and are passionate about
- Indulge once a year with your partner – find time to at least once a year go and indulge in each other
- Indulge once a year with your mates – long gone are the stag does and boys weekends away – bring them back
- Talk to your mates – guess what they all feel the same and a problem shared……Love this time – you are probably the most comfortable you’ll ever be in your own skin. Enjoy it
- Travel – experience the world and put your own life into perspective
- Have do nothing time – turn your phone off, pick up a book, go for a walk, sit on the beach, enjoy the now
- Let it go – if we are all feeling it, it no longer matters. Enjoy the fact you are feeling like this, it means you are maturing nicely ☺